Sunday, March 9, 2008

Day 18 of RTF (last day!)

Our PV schedule was posted the day before our PV day and we just had to make sure to be in the labs and ready to go for both ours and our partner's PV times. The rest of the time is allotted "self-study" time.

My partner ran her PV first and I had to work the south sector for her. She did pretty well and I think she only had one compression error on final. South sector was boring to work because they keep it pretty slow since no one is watching you and you're just there for a few coordinations. Our evaluator was from Waco, TX and he was pretty nice. I ran my PV after lunch. There are 3 different PV scenarios, so mine wasn't the same as my partner's. Overall the traffic wasn't super busy, but it was enough to keep you scanning and issuing pretty frequent transmissions. I didn't end up with any separation errors, but I did have a stupid scratchpad entry mistake. There was a United flight departing off of Academy going out the Mayes gate at 12,000, so I climbed him and turned him. Once he got to around 8,000 and there wasn't any conflicting traffic, I went to hand him off to Center. I pushed "C" on my keyboard and (according to my evaluator) I went to issue an instruction to a different aircraft before clicking on the United flight. Then I must have come back to click "C" again (forgetting I had already done it and hadn't clicked on him), and I tried to click on him this time. It didn't take it, so I hit "C" for a third time. Of course, this time it took, but now I had "CCC" in my preview area and didn't realize it. And in case you didn't know, anything with three letters/numbers replaces the destination in the aircraft data tag. So now my United flight was headed to "CCC" instead of "MAY". Go me. Oh well, not a big deal. At least I didn't have anyone die during my PV run. :)

After all of the PVs were over for the day we all met in the classroom around 3pm. We were given our certificates of completion, everyone said their goodbyes, and we were dismissed for good. I ended up hitting the road right after class to start my drive to Denver, which is why it's taken me a little while to update these posts. It's so good to be done with the Academy and to be back in Denver. I start work tomorrow morning at 7am and I'm looking forward to it. I'm still going to be updating this blog every now and then with short summaries of what I've been doing at the Tracon, so feel free to keep reading.

No comments: