Thursday, February 28, 2008

Day 12 and 13 of RTF

Yesterday we just ran more scenarios both on the north and south sides. We did have one scenario that was just north for both of us (separately) that was just arrivals into Academy. Almost all of the arrivals were coming from the northwest, and then you'd get three or four arrivals coming directly from the east that you had to work into the sequence. Speed control was the key here, and you had to be careful not to run your downwind out too far (which if you didn't use speed control correctly, it was pretty easy to get a long downwind).

Today the scenarios definitely got a little busier. I've found that the north scenarios seem to be a little bit more hectic compared to south. This morning I think I was just out of it so I had one really bad run where things were just all over the place on north. After lunch I got a handle on things though. We had one scenario with an emergency (which we haven't worked any emergencies before), and we just had to vector him straight to Academy and land him as soon as possible. My partner and I also ran the arrivals scenario again (the one where we were both north separately) and I did much better with my speed control today and working those east arrivals into my sequence.

I met my facility manager from Denver today, and I was surprised to see him behind my partner and I during our second to last scenario of the day when we were finishing up. Turns out he had been watching it the entire time. As far as I can remember, I did pretty well, so hopefully he wasn't like, "Whoa, we don't want her working triple simultaneous approaches into Denver and level 11 traffic..."

Tomorrow is our 40% skill check which we take right after lunch. Supposedly the traffic will be less than what we've been dealing with on some of our busier scenarios. The skill check evaluations will be sent to our individual facilities. Our facilities also get the results of our 70% skill check, our RTF PV that we have on the last day of class, our radar qualification exam, our two RTF block test exams, and our ITR exams.

No comments: